In 1901, Bryce James Allan and his wife, Anna Palfrey, founders of the Canadian shipping company Allan Shipping Lines, commissioned Boston society architect Guy Lowell – the creative spirit behind Boston’s Museum of Fine Arts – to design a Georgian mansion as their summer home. Welcome to Tupper Manor.
Well known for their generous hospitality and lavish entertaining, the Allans created an oceanfront showstopper – a magnificent estate and the perfect setting for life’s most important moments. Today, the well-preserved mansion, from its stone entrance pillars and monumental lawn fountain to the sweeping grand staircase and glass-enclosed Conservatory, offers the elegance of a bygone era merged with the best of today’s amenities.
In 1943, the Allans’ historic estate home passed to Endicott College and was renamed Tupper Hall, after the second president of Endicott College, Dr. Eleanor Tupper. Since then, Tupper Manor has acted as an Endicott College residence hall and home to the college’s School of Hospitality Management, and is now one of Boston area’s most distinguished event venues.
Constructed in 1955, the award-winning Wylie Center originally stood as Endicott College’s gymnasium. Over the decades, Wylie Center has evolved to partner with Endicott College and its hospitality program, hosting important events while simultaneously training hospitality professionals. Many of our students have become industry leaders and assumed leadership roles at fine hotels, restaurants, and inns around the world.
Founded in 1939 by Dr. Eleanor Tupper and her husband, the Reverend Dr. George O. Bierkoe, Endicott College was born of a vision that education would offer women greater independence and an enhanced position in the workplace. Today, it welcomes coeducational students and is one of New England’s finest liberal arts schools, becoming the first North Shore college to offer doctoral programs.